Sunday, February 10, 2002

Liberal Imperialism



A useful survey of English imperialist thought, in the New Statesman. It does have the iNSufferable's trademark, it is smugly leftist. Another illustration that the force them into freedom crowd (you know who you are) are more a creature of Mill than Burke.

It does however claim that American interventionism (at least when shorn of its Cold War underpinnings) was fundamentally Conservative and wary of unsettling local orders. Israel? Suez? Rhodesia? Give me a break.

By the way, is there any truth to the idea that Karl Marx was a proponent of imperialism - because capitalism was a higher stage of human development than feudalism? I read this years ago and took it as gospel, anything that made Marxists look inconsistent. I've recently looked through Google (which answers most questions) and I've found nothing. Any experts on the Red Prussian out there who can enlighten me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive