Wednesday, December 12, 2001
Happenings in BlogLand

For daring to question the Western account of Mazar-e-Sharif I've been confined to the "loopy eddies of libertarian thought" by the Anarcho-Militarists of Samizdata. Such compliments are rare these days. As Madsen Pirie said, first you're mad, then you're dangerous and then everyone had your idea all along.

However, I never seem to get past the first stage.

Here's the full commentary:

Alas similar dark prognostications can be found in the more loopy eddies of libertarian thought as well.

One example is Emmanuel Goldstein of Airstrip One, who is a well thought out, largely coherent libertarian who writes a lot of very good and insightful stuff. Yet it seems to me he become unhinged at the first whiff of US or UK military involvement in pretty much anything. I realise he thinks me far too trusting of the state (a novel concept for me) but I regard his approach, like that of many Muslim conspiracy theorists, as a 'theory of reflexive disbelief' rather than one of skeptical rational analysis.

Of course the irony of sharing some aspects of world view with Emmanual's strain of libertarianism might be lost on Muslim extremists, unless they also have a sense of humour. I certainly think it is funny.


I'm finding all this reference data from the new web counter. Hours of fun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive