Friday, February 11, 2005
Positive Force This
I know we seem to be fixated with Condeleza Rice these days (well she is better looking than Colin Powell) but she says some revealing things. For instance that the United States is still gung ho for the extinction of Britain:
As Europe unifies further and has a common foreign policy - I
understand what is going to happen with the constitution and that there will
be unification, in effect, under a foreign minister - I think that also will
be a very good development.
This should not be a surprise. America has seen a United Europe as a very good thing. Europe is after all a potential ally whenever a threat from the east emerges, be it Russian, Islamic or Chinese. And a British presence is crucial for keeping the thing tied into the Atlantic. This was the view of the Americans as early as the late forties when they encouraged the Iron and Steel Community, and the British policy elite has gradually fallen into this since we surrendered an independent foreign policy after Suez. Tony Blair is not, to the Yanks at least, a character tortured by his desire to sell his country to the Yanks and the Europeans - this is perfectly consistent.
Of course just because something is in America's interests, that does not mean that it is in ours. This is not something that most of the British right has yet realised.
- Ishtar Talking
- Korea Life Blog
- Academic Secret
- Genius Duck
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Home Tips
- Health Talk and You
- Beadle Beads
- Glass Beads Supplies
- Paquet Full of Glass
- Native American Jewelry
- Second String Swap
- Work at Home News
- Click Here
- Click Here
- Just Another Opinion Blog
- Dip Dot
- The Securocrats back Blair Who knows what hold th...
- Is that Poodle becoming a Dobermann? Just as cert...
- Going Forward The breakfast meeting that Prescien...
- The Common Atlantic Home President Bush shared a ...
- Campaign for Democracy President Bush explored th...
- No Surprises If we believe the Spanish government...
- Si Senor, da nada With the European Constitution,...
- Get out of the way Denis Boyles in the National R...
- Look for the links "If America took on Europe\Rus...
- Catastrophe Kirsty Hughes, writing in the Interna...
- Positive Force This I know we seem to be fixated ...
- The Soft Bulletin Condoleeza Rice, in Mary Arch...
- Simple/Complicated Javier Solana, High Foreign ...
- Bowman's Holiday The Bowman radio system has fi...
- Better Safe Than Sorry? 07/02/05
- Basra Watch The Iraqi election has proved, beyo...
- Iran away Just a quick post to point readers to...
- ▼ February (17)
- ► 2004 (246)
- ► 2003 (696)
- ► 2002 (915)