Friday, February 18, 2005
Look for the links
"If America took on Europe\Russia\China\Iran then it could whupp their ass." This is probably not official Foreign Office policy, but it is probably the best approximation to the thinking behind our slavish loyalty towards the Yanks.
Now this also happens to be true, up to a point. If there was a mano-a-mano fight between America and anyone then the Yanks would win. But this does not mean that the world is therefore safe for global domination. The trick is not overwhelming them, the preponderance of force is a given (if wasting) commodity. What is most important is to keep them seperate and squabbling.
This is what the Yanks seem to be terrible at doing. Perhaps this is what every strong power can't do - look at us losing India - and it is declining powers such as Ottoman Turkey that specialise in dividing and ruling.
Some examples of this are with Europe. First they are being dovish on Iran's nuclear ambitions and then wanting to export arms to China.
In the next few years, at least the couple of decades before China sorts itself out it will be the anti-American alliances that will matter in geopolitics. The balance of power will, as it always has, reassert itself. You just need to look for the links.
- Ishtar Talking
- Korea Life Blog
- Academic Secret
- Genius Duck
- Hairstyles and Nails
- Home Tips
- Health Talk and You
- Beadle Beads
- Glass Beads Supplies
- Paquet Full of Glass
- Native American Jewelry
- Second String Swap
- Work at Home News
- Click Here
- Click Here
- Just Another Opinion Blog
- Dip Dot
- The Securocrats back Blair Who knows what hold th...
- Is that Poodle becoming a Dobermann? Just as cert...
- Going Forward The breakfast meeting that Prescien...
- The Common Atlantic Home President Bush shared a ...
- Campaign for Democracy President Bush explored th...
- No Surprises If we believe the Spanish government...
- Si Senor, da nada With the European Constitution,...
- Get out of the way Denis Boyles in the National R...
- Look for the links "If America took on Europe\Rus...
- Catastrophe Kirsty Hughes, writing in the Interna...
- Positive Force This I know we seem to be fixated ...
- The Soft Bulletin Condoleeza Rice, in Mary Arch...
- Simple/Complicated Javier Solana, High Foreign ...
- Bowman's Holiday The Bowman radio system has fi...
- Better Safe Than Sorry? 07/02/05
- Basra Watch The Iraqi election has proved, beyo...
- Iran away Just a quick post to point readers to...
- ▼ February (17)
- ► 2004 (246)
- ► 2003 (696)
- ► 2002 (915)